Granite Vs. Quartz
Granite is a natural stone and quartz is a man made product. Granite carries no product warranty, quartz carries a 10 year limited manufactures warranty.
Granite has no product warranty because it is a natural stone and there is no manufacturer available to warranty the natural material. This doesn't mean that you have no warranty at all. We warranty our installation and workmanship for a period of 90 days. If anything is going to go wrong, it would be immediate. There are some things that you need to be aware of when owning granite.
1. Granite can and will stain: When we install the granite, it is sealed and polished. However, it is still porous. If you spill anything acidic or artificially colored on the granite, it is important to clean that spill. If left for a period of several hours, the spill can eat through the sealant and cause staining. This is usually not an issue, most people clean a spill immediately.
2. Granite requires maintenance: Although it is sealed and polished when it is installed, you must seal the granite periodically to maintain the protection of the stone. This sounds very difficult, but truthfully is no more difficult than a simple wipe down. There are many cleaning products on the market that already have a cleaner, polisher, and sealant all in 1. So every time you clean the granite, you seal it.
3. Granite can vary in color and pattern as it comes out of the ground: Since we are dealing with a natural stone, samples are good representations but not exact matches.
4. Granite will scratch and crack: Avoiding this is a simple matter of being cautious in your every day use of your counter tops. Never use a knife directly on the counter top, always use a cutting board. Also, never put a hot pot or pan directly on the counter top. Granite is cool to the touch and direct contact with a hot surface causes a rapid expansion of the stone which can result in cracking.
Quartz is a man made product and as such does carry warranties, however it is much more expensive than many granites. There are some benefits to quartz over granite.
1. Quartz does not have to be sealed. You can use a non abrasive cleaner of any type. The staining issue with granite is also not an issue with quartz.
2. Quartz is made by man and has very little color variations and pattern variations, so choosing from a sample is easy and the expectations are better met.
3. Quartz can still be scratched or cracked, so please use a cutting board and never put a hot pot or pan directly on you counter top.